Research Grants BY JRF

The Faculty Research Assistance Program (FRAP) offers undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral students the opportunity to gain research experience, collaborate with renowned researchers, and earn academic credits through research assistance courses such as 99/99RA or 199/199RA. If you wish to apply for FRAP, you may access the directory, which includes details about ongoing research projects, the faculty and senior researchers involved, and the required academic or other qualifications for participation in these projects.

Using the Directory

The directory provides a list of faculty members and senior researchers who are willing to sponsor students in 99RA/199RA. The directory is organized by department to help locate faculty members and senior researchers with primary interests in a specific area of study. The directory includes interdisciplinary projects since faculty members’ research interests often intersect disciplinary boundaries. To identify all faculty members conducting research that interests you, consider looking under several departments and programs.

When contacting a faculty member, it is best to initiate personal contact. Contact information, office hours, and other details can be obtained from the faculty member’s departmental office.

Funding for Faculty

Faculty members in the College of Letters and Science have the chance to receive a grant to support undergraduate research. To apply for funding, please use the FRAP Grant Application Form available online. There may be restrictions on the type or amount of funding available, so please review the information provided below for further details.

FRAP Grants to Faculty

Faculty members involved in FRAP can receive small grants to cover research costs related to undergraduate students enrolled in special research assistance courses (98RA/99RA/199RA) or independent studies courses (99/199) in the College of Letters and Science. However, there are restrictions on the use of FRAP grants, which are as follows:

  1. Awards for FRAP grants are given every quarter and are specific to that quarter. Check the quarterly deadlines for funding requests.
  2. The faculty must list their research projects in the FRAP Directory.
  3. Faculty can request up to five grants per quarter, with a maximum of $350 per student enrolled in a 98, 98RA, 99, 99RA, 199, or 199RA course.
  4. FRAP funding renewals may be available on a case-by-case basis, pending fund availability. However, no student can receive FRAP funding for more than three quarters.
  5. The awarded funds must be used for project expenses, excluding salary, furniture, or computer or other hardware. Undergraduate research assistants may not be paid from this award. (Travel expenses for research purposes are now covered.)
  6. The awarded funds must be spent by the end of the fiscal year (June 30) in which they are granted. Any unused funds must be returned.
  7. Faculty members who apply for FRAP funding must be part of the Academic Senate. Check the listing by department here:

Apply Now for Funding

To apply for FRAP funding, the faculty mentor must complete the FRAP Grant Application Form and send it as a Word document via email to the Undergraduate Programs Coordinator at Award notifications are typically sent out around 10 business days after the quarterly deadline. To receive funding, the student assistant’s enrollment in an appropriate faculty-supervised research course must be verified.